Sunday, October 5, 2008

Career Planning for Introverts

On every personality test I have taken, I have scored extremely high on introversion (often 100% introverted). As an introvert, social interaction requires considerable effort and drains me. This is hard for most people to understand, since about 80% of the population is extroverted. Introversion is often seen as a negative trait and we introverts are encouraged to change. However, we will always derive our energy from within and this inherent trait cannot be changed. Instead, we should look for careers in which our introverted nature is an asset.

The ideal career for an introvert will allow for some time to recharge during the workday (preferably you will have a space of your own to think and work). Interactions will be one-on-one or in small groups. Remember that all careers require interaction with coworkers and clients, but even introverts can develop good social and communication skills with practice.

Some careers for introverts to consider:
  • Actuary
  • Accountant
  • Archivist
  • Computer Systems Analyst
  • Forensic Science Technician
  • Software Engineer
  • Statistician
  • Technical Writer
Being introverted should not stop you from pursuing the career you want. If your dream career involves working around people, you may just need more rest at the end of the day than your extroverted coworkers. Even introverts can work in social occupations if the work interests and fulfills them.

4 comments:

Brian said...

Good advice. I'm a bit of an extrovert, so maybe I should look into a different path. Thanks for the info and thanks for following Eazy Cheezy.

Take Care,
Brian

Andrea said...

Thanks for stopping by, Brian. I hope you can find some more of my posts that are relevant to your life.

Andrea

Jessica said...

Wow, I feel like you just read my mind. It is so nice to know I'm not the only one out there. I am an introvert with a marketing major and let me tell you-those two qualities clash quite often. I love the creativity of marketing, but not the high volume of social interaction. It drains me too.

Jessica

Andrea said...

Jessica,
You may want to consider becoming a market research analyst. It will be in the marketing field, but may allow for more time to work alone analyzing information. Thank you for reading and keep checking for more articles related to introversion and career choice.

Andrea